Monday, March 15, 2010

Saturday Night Fever


They say in life “when one door closes, another door opens“, well in my life, when one door closes, more often than not, I’m on the other side locked out, with out the key. This is especially true when it comes to cars, friends houses, rented farmhouses, etc. And usually the missing key is easily spotted by looking through the window, there it will be highlighted in a ray of sunlight, or hanging in the ignition, in plain view, shining gleefully.
But there is also the old saying “every once in a while even a blind squirrel will find an acorn” I think that’s how people view my finding Cindy, what on earth did Cindy do wrong in a previous life to deserve this flub. Well the easy answer is, it’s balanced by the wonder that is Caleigh, the ledger is even. Well then you think, what did Caleigh do to deserve her father?, I don’t know, but if I ever meet the guy…..I’m joking for the love of God, relax. Caleigh has a pet saying about Cindy and I, “See, two wrongs can make a right.” Delightful child; so bright and witty.
Well, they also say “whatever doesn’t kill you, makes you stronger“, (except leprosy, polio, rickets, syphilis, dengue fever, and malaria, but you get the implication, gonorrhea however may build up immune systems, if treated with liberal dosage of penicillin) and that brings to mind my thought for the day.
In a few days we have our rehearsal for the La Sauvetat Du Dropt sans frontieres (1). La Sauvetat Du Dropt (the name of the town, Du Dropt (over the Dropt river)) Sans frontier- Without Borders.
A night with couples or Families living in the area from other countries. These brave people have volunteered to get up in front of everyone in a gymnasium and present a slide show of where they are from, why they chose this area, and things about themselves. I don’t remember volunteering, but somehow I got roped into presenting with Cindy the views of the average American (North American) family. The image of the typical North American family will be lowered considerably after this shindig. Cindy and I chose a bunch of photographs together, she then edited out mine, and made a power point presentation, and translated it into French, after editing out my jokes. Rehearsal is Friday evening, and we then present on Saturday evening. I’ve never had public speaking, and am by nature a nervous type. So I’m counting on a half bottle of liquid courage and Dramamine. In as much as they seem like really nice group of people, I am reminded of my final quote,
Or as Groucho Marx said, “I wouldn’t want to join a club that would allow me as a member.”

1 comment:

  1. Sitting here in Avalon and read aloud the above to the Orrs. Barbara wants to be your agent. So well done and with such good humor, it was a delight to share on such a lovely morning on Catalina. As its Susan's and my anniversary, would you mind scribing some sweet words of endearment that I might deliver to her in lieu of an inexpensive gift......thanks........gb

    ReplyDelete